Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rocket Propelled Grenade...





Challenge: To develop a video game in a week. I choose to use RPG Maker XP and develop my own adventure.


Difficulty: 5/5


Skills developed: Learned how to make my own RPG game and how to upload files on the net.


Get it here


The files needed to run it 
http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/eng/download.html


The game itself... (3 choices) 
http://rapidshare.com/files/336899263/Game.zip.html
http://www.box.net/shared/y4y2ssfskh
http://www.filefront.com/15374077/Game.zip




Steps involved


1.) Download RPG Maker XP and install it (sorry people- no idea if it runs on non-XP computers)
2.) Download the rapidshare file (post a comment if they're all gone- I'll re-upload it- check the comments section to see if there's a different link)
3.) UNZIP the rapidshare file (called game) and copy it into the INSTALLED DIRECTORY where you put RPG Maker.
4.) Click on GAME and it should run. Let me know if it doesn't! Thanks! 


Controls: x- menu. enter- action. arrow keys - walk. 


Overview/Rant: Holy f**k I'm exhausted. As you'll notice- I'm also two days late... DON'T CARE! I've managed to put off much IMPORTANT work to be done for college and school to do this... so, please ENJOY! Also- apologies for any glitches etc- let me know...  







Hardest Parts: The time taken to do everything. You have to be EXTREMELY careful when placing things as even one mistake can cause the complete game to glitch... for example- putting an enemy in a spot then forgetting to have him erased once you kill him... thus meaning infinite battles. Or building a switch that can only be activated via certain events... etc etc... MIND NUMBINGLY TECHNICAL! Seriously exhausting...







Recommendation: Glad I did it. I love RPG's so it was fun writing the dialogue and storyline (even if it is a super crap one). Do try this if you love RPG's. Don't try this if you like having a life... 


Conclusion: Dam hard challenge. As you can see I'm late by two days- but in my defense I did nothing Tuesday or Wednesday... so, yeah, whatever... ANYWAY- I hope it works- I've checked it a few times but hopefully it's fine. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANYTHING WRONG SO I CAN FIX IT!!! Cheers







Special Thanks: Conor Lynch for the suggestion. Rebecca Gimblett for test running the game (Rebecca: "You're a nerd Stephen...")


Next Challenge: Was supposed to learn the unicycle in a week- but failed to get access to one so I will be learning the violin instead. I must learn one song by the end of the week.


Random Thoughts: It was one hell of a journey... (game hint: streetlight people...)



5 comments:

  1. Thanks to Rebecca- the game is now refixed!

    All links should be correct from now on. The previous ones made a mistake with the final boss fight.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Downloading it now. Looking forward to playing this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done on that one Steve !!

    I'll give it a try later .. the powers that be kinda frown upon game playing in my place of employment :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished it. Excellent! Though for such a cool looking character Simon certainly does suck in battle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon was the suckiest of all the chipmunks too...

    Must be fate... :)

    ReplyDelete