Sunday, March 21, 2010

The truth will... do nothing apparently... nor will doing 'nothing' accomplish anything...

Challenge: To tell the truth for a week
Difficulty: 1/5
Skills developed: Neh... 
Overview/Rant: The aim of the challenge this week was to try tell the truth at all times. No 'white' lies- nothing.

So- how challenging was it? IN ALL HONESTY... it wasn't... it's simple to tell the truth at all times. There wasn't a single situation where I had to lie about something. I figured this would be a difficult challenge but when you actually work out how many times you're asked a direct question you'll realize that the only time you really lie is when you try to soften the truth. For example: "Sorry I missed your party" is an apology for missing someone's party- maybe you weren't bothered but now you feel remorseful- but "Oh sorry I missed your party, I had to do loads of assignment work..." is a lie (except if you were doing assignment work obviously- nerd). Granted it makes the recipient of the lie feel better, but then again if you wanted them to feel good then you would have went to their party in the first place... 

But basically, no one asked me a single question where I had to lie... 
It was uneventful.
It was a tad boring.
Hence the delay in posting...

BUT - I'm thinking of reattempting this challenge with a small, but significant, adaption- I MUST be brutally honest with everyone. For example "I'm not sorry I missed your party- you melt my head." Cruel but honest... I could then use this insight into my new book "Making friends..."

So then I decided to move onto challenge 11...

Which was EVEN more uneventful...


Challenge: To dictate my own week and not have someone else decide it...
Difficulty: 0/5
Skills developed: ....
Overview/Rant: The aim of the challenge this week was to not pre-plan my week based on someone else's decision.

Suffice to say it wasn't awesome. It was my typical week which involves getting up early, going to work, going to college, going home. I could write a novelette about the whole fiasco but I've pretty much ruined the entire story with that last sentence.

So I feel I owe an apology to the masses... you've been bored reading this, I've been bored writing it...

Next Challenge: So- in an attempt to cheer myself up about the boringness of the last TWO challenges I've decided to try learn some basic Spanish for a week. My aim is to do the following...

* Learn: how to introduce myself, how to count, basic verbs, basic words, etc.
* Try have a discussion with someone who speaks Spanish.
* Attempt an Ordinary Level Leaving Certificate Spanish paper.

I have only ever studied Spanish in secondary school for like a week and I was pretty woeful at it too... so...

Mayo el desafío comienza!!!

Which I think is Spanish for "The devil is in the mayonnaise!!!" or "May the challenge commence!!!"


3 comments:

  1. I think the challenge of being brutally honest will be more fun... but be careful, you can lose all you friends and family members trying...

    I live in spain, and the traslation of "May the challenge commence" is really bad. "MAYO" means May the month, not the verb. But you'll figure it out next week, i'm sure xD
    good luck

    PL ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve, just thought I'd throw a few more challenges your way to hopefully give you some inspiration:

    - Keep an "egg child" alive (unbroken) for a week.

    - Complete an Irish Examiner Cryptic crossword in a week, or other cryptic crossword if you have a preference. (No help with answers, dictionaries, internet, you can start over at any stage on a new one)

    - Don't eat the same food twice within the same week.

    - Have a Friend month. Choose challenges that you need to do/complete with someone for a week. Or the same challenge with 4 different people.

    - Keep a pet alive on your own for a week.

    - Teach someone something new for a week and test them in it at the end of the week. Could be something simple like how to pitch a tent or something harder like spanish :P

    - Learn all the countries in the world in a week. (195)

    - You could do a challenge over a longer period. It apparently takes 30 days to create a habit, see if this is true with something hard like going to the gym or something.

    - Dont txt/sms for a week.

    - No caffeine for a week, then double caffeine for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the correction there PL! I just used an online translator device to tell me... :P

    Charles- thanks for the suggestions, I'm reattempting the Spanish and attempting the EGG CHILD this week! We'll see how it goes... :)

    ReplyDelete