Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Skip me with your best shot...

Okay... so I took some artistic license there...

Challenge: To learn to skip like a boxer in one week.

Difficulty: 3/5

Skills Developed: Basic skip techniques, the double skip, the criss-cross and the matador. This video below highlights the main ones. I attempted the cradle and the backwards criss-cross... but... yeah... epic fail...


Overview/Rant: Firstly- I'm two days late due to Valentines Day, laziness and procrastination (in reverse order of actual reasons for lateness...) Anyway- apologies for the delay... Back to the review... SKIPPING is awesome... wait, let me try that again.... skipping is AWESOME!!! Within 3 minutes you can work up a sweat, you can choose to go for an hour or a minute and all it requires is a rope and room to do it. It requires a lot of practice though. I only for the criss-cross in the final days and I didn't really get the matador at all. The simple single hop on one foot (see video) took me a few nights of practice to perfect. Really though- there's not much to say about it apart from that... here's a break down of the techniques learned- at different points...

8 seconds - double hop on both feet
14 seconds - double hop on one foot alternating
20 seconds - single hop on both feet
24 seconds - single hop walking forward
27 seconds - single hop walking backwards
30 seconds - the skier hop
34 seconds - the double skip
44 seconds  - the criss-cross
52 seconds - attempts the matador
1 min 9 seconds - epic giving up....


I originally planned on recording the techniques with backing music- but I couldn't continuously skip for several minutes without making a mistake... I think my matador days will have to wait... don't want to end up like this guy...


Hardest Part: The matador... 

Recommendation: Totally recommend this. Take the time to learn the techniques and hon them. I'm going to try maintain skipping as it can be done anytime and is a fantastic cardio workout. Honestly- not much to say except DO IT...

Conclusion: Great challenge- well worth the week and something I will probably continue to research to find more challenging techniques. 

Special Thanks: Luke Walsh for providing the new leather skipping rope.  

Next Challenge: Complete the fitness requirements for the Irish Army. There's a one minute press-up assessment, a one minute sit-up assessment, a 3.2km Run Assessment and a 10km loaded march. Check it out at:  http://www.62infantry.com/Annual_Fitness_Test.shtml

Random Thoughts: Maybe someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment